Click below to see the most recent updates
How can I help restore a piece of Texas history?
We need your help to raise the remaining 25% to restore the jewel of Austin County. The Turnverein is 122 years old and this piece of history deserves our attention.
1. Give- all donations $1,000+ will be included in building signage.
2. Ask others to give- think of friends and family that believe in restoration and small towns.
How it all started...
In the late 1800’s Bellville had two organizations that sponsored community-wide social activities. In 1883 the Social Club purchased this 14.7 acres of land from Herman Miller for the sum of $760 and had planned construction of a pavilion that didn’t materialize. In 1885 the Bellville Turnverein Gut Heil was formed by German immigrants – encouraging gymnastics (turnen) and athletics, a club (verein) for good health (gut heil). With the need for a place for community-wide social activities including physical exercise, dances, celebrations and meetings, they purchased the property in 1895 from the Social Club. In August of 1897, a contract was let to German immigrant carpenter Joachim Hintz of Milheim to build a social hall. The hall, which seated up to 400 for dances, was completed in October of 1897 at a cost of $2,500.
A skilled carpenter who came to Austin County from Germany in 1855 at the age of 14, Joachim Hintz left an indelible mark on Austin County.
As architect & builder of three of the “dance halls” that are part of our historic culture, he conceived the unique 12 & 8-sided halls built around a central pole, his trademark. A tribute to the design & fine carpentry is the fact that they
all are still in use today... each being over 100 years old.
The Bellville Turnverein Pavilion Restoration Project is a 501 (c)(3) charity dedicated to restoring and preserving a true piece of Texas history. Click above to find out more about the history of the pavilion, our goals and aspirations, and how to help us with our cause.
Learn about our goals, accomplishments, and whats to come for the beloved local pavilion.